You were travelling abroad and desired a T-Mobile unlock to use the local carrier of the host country to cut down the expensive roaming charges, but your locked handset rejected the local carrier SIM card. Restriction to consumer’s freedom to choose an operator seems frustrating. Let’s understand the reason of locked mobile phones in detail.
Technical Barriers of T-Mobile Unlock
Mobile devices work on CDMA and GSM technology. When these devices are sold, they are locked to a specific cellular carrier. It means the device is compatible with that particular carrier. You have to get it unlocked first to switch to another network. Remember there are some cell phones that will not work with another operator, even after they are unlocked.
T-Mobile and AT&T use GSM, while Sprint and Verizon incorporate CDMA wireless standards. CDMA and GSM based phones are incompatible with one to another. This means, your CDMA phones purchased on Verizon, may not work on T-Mobile’s GSM network and vice-versa.
Here comes the IMEI unlock service to help you. You can unlock T-Mobile iPhone or other mobile device and switch it to AT&T carrier for example.
The GSM/CDMA technology difference is a legal technical barrier of switching phones between carriers. On the other hand, carriers locking the phone are an artificial barrier, which is made to ensure that users stick to their network. For example, if you buy a T-Mobile smartphone on contract, then the device will operate on T-Mobile network. It will reject other carrier’s SIM card, if you desire to switch.
Well, devices designed by both carriers are technically compatible, but T-Mobile handset is locked to its own network and it will reject other SIM cards. You will have to send TMobile unlock request first to use it with other operator.
Why Carriers Lock Phones?
Mobile phone companies basically subsidize the device to make it reasonably priced. Locking the phones sold on contract allows them to keep the consumers on their network. Remember you are not paying upfront and the carriers are financially supporting, so it is fair for them to try and sustain their customers until they get their money back.
Is Unlocking Your Phone Legal?
Legally you can unlock your phone to switch carriers as long as you meet certain criterion as set by the operators. For example, if you own a T-Mobile phone there are several things to consider before you unlock it and switch to a new network.
T Mobile unlock criteria includes you to actively use their network for minimum 40 days, before switching. In addition, it currently puts a limitation on how many unlocks a consumer can have per year and per line for 2 years services.
Unlocking Checklist for T-Mobile Handset
• The handset must not be linked with fraudulent activity and not reported to be stolen or misplaced.
• If the device was purchased on 2-year contract then there need to be minimum 18 successive months of prompt payment record.
• Another way is to switch to a T-Mobile Simple Choice Plan (monthly). In both ways, your account must hold a good status means no overdue payment record.
• If your device has been financially supported through T-Mobile JUMP! Or Equipment Installment Plan. You must have paid the installments for the device completely and have an account with zero balance.
• If your phone is on T-Mobile prepaid services then you will need to be active on their network for minimum one year, before an approval for unlocking is granted.
• However, if your account has had $100 recharges for smartphone or $25 for basic phone usage from the time you activated the new device, unlocking approval can be attained in less than 12 months.
• For deployed military workforce, T-Mobile makes exception, provided your account has no overdue bills. Your phone gets unlocked as soon as the copies of deployment papers are supplied.
Information Needed to Request for a TMobile Unlock
Make sure that you have paid regularly and there is nothing shady related to your handset. Now, you are ready to send us a request for a TMobile iPhone unlock. Once we have checked that your device can be unlocked and done the procedure, we will notify you via email in 1 – 3 business days depending on the device. This will help you to switch your carrier. When you ask us to unlock TMobile phone, the customer service staff will ask the following information.
• Your name and email address.
• IMEI number of the device (you can find the MEID or IMEI number engraved on the batter cover or back of your device or dial *#06# and press Send or Call. A 15-digit number will flash on the screen).
How to Unlock T Mobile in Special Circumstances?
If you have any certain conditions, you can make T mobile unlock request to our customer service. You can choose your device and network from our online shop to see the small fee we need to ask for the service.
• If your contract has expired, we can unlock the phone like any other.
• If you will be travelling and desire to use a SIM from the host country to save the roaming costs, we can unlock the device. We charge a flat fee but it is worth it.
Is Unlocking Yourself Safe?
You have a right to unlock your phone without anyone’s permission. However, the precise process varies from one device to another, so perform an online research on our site to find information regarding on how to unlock T-Mobile or any other smartphone you use.
As long as you are letting the experts do the job to unlock T-Mobile, it is a safe method. If you connect it with some machine or application designed by 3rd party then the risk of changing the deep settings within the phone increases, which may impact its usability.
An attempt to do it on your own can possibly damage the smartphone and you may be in need of an urgent repair or replacement.
Will Unlocking on Your Own Affect Warranty?
Unlocking is not against the law, but can be dangerous. It can affect your warranty, if unlocked using unauthorized ways. Contact our customer service to unlock it officially without risks.
Your T-Mobile unlock phone is attuned with AT&T because both carries employ GSM technology. In addition, both uses Band 4 for LTE service therefore any kind of 4G LTE device can access their network easily. It means you can use T-Mobile 4G LTE phone on Verizon’s LTE network. Even though Verizon employs CDMA technology both operate on the similar spectrum, so LTE data theoretically works fine.
Now that you know how to unlock T-Mobile phone, you can choose your smartphone and network carrier to let us unlock the device for you by whitelisting it in the manufacturer’s database for lifetime.